American Public University System Sociology Essay
PURPOSE: The purpose of this exercise is to conceptualize and operationalize variables, and understand how conceptual and operational definitions impact the conclusions drawn about variables.
WRITING REQUIREMENTS: The essay should be 7-9 pages. APA formatting should be used throughout (cover page, running header, major heading, subheadings, in-text citations, and reference list). Any time you paraphrase or directly quote a source, in-text citations should be used. A full APA-formatted reference should be included at the end of the assignment.
The essay should include the following subheadings:
- Conceptualizes race
- Operationalizes race
- Census Bureau changes
- How changes to variables affect conclusions
INSTRUCTIONS: Make sure to follow the directions in order.
- First, provide a definition of the terms: “conceptual definition” and “operational definition”.
- Next, conceptualize and operationalize the variable “race.”
- Read the Census Bureau’s report on race.
- Answer the following questions after reading the report:What changes did the Bureau make to the conceptualization and operationalization of race in the 2010 census?Why did the Bureau make these changes?Could the difference in operationalization produce different conclusions about race?Does the Bureau’s conceptualization and operationalization of race coincide with yours? If so, how? If not, what is different?
- Submissions should be typed, double-spaced, 1″ margins, times new roman 12 pt font, and saved as .doc, .docx, .pdf.
- Use APA format for citations and references
- View the grading rubric so you understand how you will be assessed on this Assignment.
- Disclaimer- Originality of attachments will be verified by Turnitin. Both you and your instructor will receive the results.
- This course has “Resubmission” status enabled to help you if you realized you submitted an incorrect or blank file, or if you need to submit multiple documents as part of your Assignment. Resubmission of an Assignment after it is grades, to attempt a better grade, is not permitted.