FSU Assisted Technology Devices Personal Reflective Journal
Description: Reflecting on your clinical experience will allow you to build awareness about the
unique needs of students with autism spectrum disorders.
BACKGROUND INFO: I did some volunteer hours at an autistic school and the assignment is to reflect on my experience being written in FIRST PERSON
Directions: Create a journal that you will use throughout the four endorsement courses that will
document your clinical experiences. For the first journal entry, write a two page entry that
includes your observation of assistive technology (AT), augmentative devices, and auxiliary aids
used with students with autism spectrum disorders.
The journal entry should include the following:
1. Identify examples and non-examples of AT devices, augmentative devices, and/or
auxiliary aids used in the classroom.
2. State the purpose for using AT devices, augmentative devices, and/or auxiliary aids.
3. Describe how the devices and/or aids are being implemented during instruction and non-
instructional activities. If the devices and/or aids are not being used, explain how they
can be used to improve student learning.
4. Explain the important aspects of using the devices and/or aids in the lesson.
5. Describe the strengths and challenges of using the devices and/or aids.
6. Make recommendations for using the devices and/ or aids across disciplines, during
school field trips, and other school activities throughout the school day.