MATH120 AMU Alcoprol Effectiveness Worksheet
For your initial post you will make up a problem similar to the above example.
(Remember that your problem must satisfy all the qualities of a binomial experiment – see above).
The binomial distribution has five characteristics:
- The number of trials (n) is fixed
- There are only two outcomes for each trial (success or failure)
- The probability of success for each trial (p) remains constant
- The trials are all independent of each other
- The random variable X represents the number of successes out of n trials.
Sample Binomial Experiment – this would be in your initial post:
A couple has 8 children (n = 8 trials). We will assume that the probability of having a boy (arbitrarily defined as a “success”) is p = 0.5.
a) Determine the probability the couple has exactly 5 boys.
b) Determine the probability that they have more than 5 boys.
c) Determine the probability that they have at most 5 boys.