MICROBIOLOGY 152 Grossmont College How HIV is Transmitted Questions
please answer some research questions and after watching the video there are more questions to answer regarding the video.
How to Survive a Plague—HIV Education Video Assignment
The documentary video you will view for part of this assignment covers the HIV epidemic from about
the years 1987-1996. It highlights the activism that led to the development of drug treatments to
prolong life. It also shows personal stories of the activists. DISCLOSURE–you will see and hear the
following: AIDS patients, homosexuals (sometimes engaged in kissing), cursing and other derogatory
language and words, a protest inside of a church. Please suspend any judgments you have until after
you see the entire video. The video does start loudly, but then settles down.
1. FIRST, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website to find the following information.
https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/default.html Search in the HIV Basics section. Answer in brief one sentence
List the ways HIV is transmitted (spread from person-to-person).
List the prevention methods for these 5 categories—sexual transmission, IV drug use, mother-to-child
transmission, protecting others when you’re HIV-positive, other prevention methods.
What is PrEP vs. PEP? In what situations are these used?
NOW, watch the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY_X8ZeLv1Y
2. List at least two of the activist organizations that were formed during this time period.
3. What types of discrimination could HIV+ individuals face during the time period covered in the
documentary? Make sure at least one example is related to the healthcare setting.
4. What are some of the symptoms of AIDS described in the documentary?
5. Why did the activist movement develop around this issue?
6. What was the first drug developed for treatment of HIV infection, and what was the cost of it?
7. After the first drug, the most effective treatments came later in the form of protease inhibitors. How
do the protease inhibitor drugs work to control the virus?
8. Was this documentary beneficial to view? In what ways was it, or wasn’t it beneficial?
Thank you for your open mind and attention during this video!