Week 1 Assignment – Chapters 1, 2 and 3 /NO PLAGARISM PROFESSOR USES TURNITIN
After reading Chapters 1, 2 and 3 answer the following questions:
- Do the three justice components (police, courts, and corrections) constitute a true system or are they more appropriately described as a process or a true nonsystem? Defend your response.
- What are the legal and historical bases for a justice system and its administration in the United States? Why is the conflict-versus-consensus debate important?
- What are some of the substantive ways in which public-sector and private-sector administration are similar? How are they dissimilar?
- What elements of planned change must the justice administrator be familiar with in order to ensure that change is effected rationally and successfully?
- Which method, a rational process or just muddling through, appears to be used in criminal justice policymaking today? Which method is probably best, given real-world realities? Explain your response
- Define organization. What is its function and structure?
- Explain the evolution of organizational theory, including scientific, human relations, systems, and bureaucratic management theories.
- Define span of control and unity of command.
- Explain the characteristics and skills of America’s best leaders.
- What did Katz say are the three most important general qualities in leaders?
1. Discuss what is meant by a bona fide occupational qualifier (BFOQ) in the process of recruiting and hiring. Give an example of a bona fide occupational qualifier and the reasons it is permissible.
2. List and describe the four elements of a due process claim set forth by the U.S. Supreme Court under Title 42 U.S.C. Section 1983.
3. List and explain the three basic rights associated with the Peace Officers Bill of Rights (POBR).